1. Why seek Genetic Counseling through NIGCC?
Patients come to Northeast Indiana Genetic Counseling Center (NIGCC) for a many reasons. Often, it's because they may have a chromosome-related disorder. Chromosomes are the building blocks that determine how people develop, grow, and respond to disease and age. When a person has too many chromosomes, or they are damaged or in the wrong order, health, behavior and cognitive problems can result. Some of the major reasons for genetic counseling include:
- Developmental delays in children
- Birth defects
- Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD)
- Abnormal chromosomes
- High-risk pregnancies
- Autism Spectrum Disorders
- Hereditary conditions
- Family history of cancer
Genetic testing can be helpful in many situations. At NIGCC, many of the patients we work with need answers on birth-related and cancer issues. One of the most commonly ordered tests we have is called the Chromosome Microarray Analysis. This particular test can disect a particular gene to extraordinary lengths to find if there are abnormalities. The abnormalities can range in location, size and effect on patients.
3. Is a referral from a physician needed to receive services?
Many NIGCC patients are referred by a physician, but some services are available without a referral. NIGCC also provides inpatient consultations for newborns in intensive care who have birth defects or abnormal blood work.
4. What payment options are available?
- We are a participating provider with most insurance companies, while we will work with all patients and any type of insurance plan. In the event that we are not participating with a particular insurance company we will still work with all clients and submit medical claims upon their behalf.
- Interest-free payment plans can be set up according to a patients ability to pay.
- For your convenience, we accept Visa, MasterCard & Discover.
5. What will take place on my first appointment?
An individual can expect a thorough evaluation to include; biological/medical family history, physical exam, medical records review, and an evaluation of presenting symptoms, issues and level of functioning.
If needed and medically necessary additional genetic tests and or medical tests may be done or ordered. We will provide you with complete instructions and relevant information so you feel confident and comfortable about the tests that are being ordered. If testing is necessary a test result appointment will be scheduled to review results, relevance, application and treatment plan options.
It is the responsibility of the individual to understand their insurance benefits, network coverage, and check into relevant stipulations specific to their plan.
If a referral is made it is the responsibility of the individual to check whether the provider is in network with their insurance and coverage limitations.